Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 and MSSQL 2005 Cant Use SQL Client

2010-03-12 12:25:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 and MSSQL 2005 Cant Use SQL Client
From: Nuno Seita <nuno.seita AT tcsi DOT pt>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:25:28 +0000

Thx in advance for your help

My environment is:

NBU 6.5.5  master server ( windows 2003 )

NBU 6.5.5 Client ( mssql 2005 )

Authentication type: MSSQL 2005 (mixed mode)

User Windows: NBUSQL, that as been configured  with sysadmin SQL privileges

Mssql user configured on the nbu client side: Not applicable, because my mssql is configured with mixed mode authentication.

Scenario:

My windows user is a “normal server user”, and when I try to  connect to my nbu MSSQL client I receive the message “Application Connection Failed for SQL\. Please select a different SQL Server Host and instance, or press ‘cancel’ to exit the Netbackup for SQL Server Graphical User Interface.”

If I do “Run as…” and my windows user is an administrator of the MSSQL server machine, it works.

Does NBU Client side operations need a administrator user to run it? (even its already sysadmin on the SQL configuration?)

Even if I try to type on the MS SQL Client Connection box the “sa” account.. it still ignores it and loads “nbusql” credentials.

I’m trying to sort the minimum priveleges the backup operator needs in order to run the restores.

Ty for your help,