Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can't upgrade past windows netbackup client 6.0

2010-02-21 03:13:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can't upgrade past windows netbackup client 6.0
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 02:13:05 -0600
The symptom we had was:
Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0

Digging deeper we saw WMI issues logged in the install log.
We saw errors logged in the WMI logs also, but service was otherwise functioning and the articles on this error on Symantec were not applicable, or didn't work.

Symantec support gave us this brute force fix which did the trick, but you might want to look at any 3rd party apps you have installed that set up their own stuff in WMI.

Here was the rebuild procedure we used.

At the command line, typed "net stop winmgmt"
Opened Explorer and wemt to the folder called %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM\Repository.
Deleted that folder and everything in it.
Rebooted the system normally.
On the next login, opened a command prompt and typed the following commands in this order:
winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver