Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Any gotchas with 10 GB Ethernet?

2010-02-02 02:24:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Any gotchas with 10 GB Ethernet?
From: "William Brown" <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:24:22 +0100
This is what we use, though it is not special to 10GbE; I've no doubt many
people will have their own schemes.  It's from a script that checks settings
against our design:

        NETWORK TUNING PARAMETERS

        TCP parameters:

        tcp_wscale_always:            current:       1  recommended:       1
        tcp_tstamp_if_wscale:         current:       1  recommended:       1
        tcp_xmit_hiwat:               current: 1048576  recommended: 1048576
        tcp_recv_hiwat:               current: 1048576  recommended: 1048576
        tcp_cwnd_max:                 current: 2097152  recommended: 2097152
        tcp_max_buf:                  current: 4194304  recommended: 4194304
        tcp_time_wait_interval:       current:   60000  recommended:   60000
        tcp_conn_req_max_q:           current:    8192  recommended:    8192

        Sendpipes & Recvpipes:

        route <x.x.x.x>  recvpipe:  current: 1048576  recommended: 1048576
        route <x.x.x.x>  sendpipe:  current: 1048576  recommended: 1048576

I'd say the hiwat settings are the most important, and tcp_cwnd_max and
tcp_max_buf must be raised to allow for that.  We are also implementing Jumbo
Frames which in testing made about 60-80% increase in throughput using iperf.
Slightly harder to test with NetBackup as more moving parts like disks
involved, and for many clients we cannot set it as we don't have a separate
backup LAN, and some applications don't want to try it.

William D L Brown