Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Policy Selection for Windows

2010-01-25 06:17:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Policy Selection for Windows
From: Harpreet SINGH <harpreet_singh AT ctl.creative DOT com>
To: <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:16:25 +0800
Dear Mr. Bob,

Sorry I confused...

The question is I have about 10 windows clients and each client has
different mount points to be back-up.

<<
C:\cygwin
C:\Inetpub
C:\net-snmp
C:\Inetpub
C:\net-snmp
C:\PHP
D:\Program Files
D:\user_files
D:\Program Files
D:\Webroot
N:\Documents and Settings
N:\notesdata
N:\oracle
N:\Program Files
E:\Backup
E:\Inetpub\visa
E:\Inetpub\wwwroot
G:\CheetahMailCLA
G:\CheetahMailExtraction
G:\CheetahMailUnsubUpdate V2

I have  got a new request to backup new clients with whole C:\ and D:\
drive.

If I use C:\ or D:\ then rest of the clients will also be backed up, which
I don't want. Is it I have to create a new policy for specific
requirements.

With Warm Regards
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Harpreet Singh Chana

Phone  :   (O) 6895 - 4326
Fax       :    (O) 6895 - 4991
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Notice
privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient,  any disclosure,  copying or distribution of the message,  or
any action taken by you in reliance on it,  is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you have received this message in error,  please delete it
and contact the sender immediately.  Thank you.

             "bob944"
             <bob944@attglobal
             .net>                                                      To
                                       <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu>
             01/24/2010 06:13                                           cc
             AM                        <harpreet_singh AT ctl.creative DOT com>

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [Veritas-bu] Backup Policy
             Please respond to         Selection  for Windows
             <bob944@attglobal
                   .net>

> I am new for Windows backup. Need your help to explain on below
>
> Here is the requirement.
> Windows Clients  List ...
>
> CTLBIS1
> CTLFS1
> CTL-JAM
> [...]
>
> Backup Selection Example.
>
> CTLDS04
> Full C: drive
>
> NS
> Full C: drive
> Full D: drive
>
> NS0
> C:\WINNT\System32\dns
>
> I can understand if we have absolute path selection. But how about
> C:\ or
> D:\ or E:\ etc...
> how system will check from the above clients list which server's
> C:\ or D:\
> or E:\  need to backup and other clients just absolute path.

If you have any background in NetBackup (that's not clear from your
note), it's no different than backing up any other system, like Unix
boxes with a Standard class.  A selection list entry, such as

c:\
/c/program files/a*
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
/usr/openwin/bin/xclock

tells NetBackup to back up that selection (and its expansions if
wildcards are used, and everthing under it if it's a directory).  If
the schedule is a full, it's all backed up.  If an incremental
(differential or cumulative), only the changed files per the rules
for diffs and cincs are backed up.  If the schedule has a window and
a frequency (or equivalent calendar-based automatic scheuling),
invoke it automatically accoring to those rules.

You tell NetBackup what to back up (Selection List), on what clients
(Clients), when and how (Scheules) by the class (policy) settings.
NetBackup will follow the rules you have written in the class
definition.

If any of this is new to you, you must read at _least_ the Veritas
NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume 1.

For now, create one Win-FS policy, put ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in the
selection list, put all the windows clients in the client list, put
in a full and a differential scheule and run them manually   Add
automatic scheuling and other attributes as your knowledge grows.

ForwardSourceID:NT0013535E