Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Boring Subject? - Adding LTO IV FC drives into an SL8500 with existing LTO II drives

2010-01-19 09:13:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Boring Subject? - Adding LTO IV FC drives into an SL8500 with existing LTO II drives
From: Carl Elkins <ce1 AT sanger.ac DOT uk>
To: Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:12:56 +0000
Travis Kelley wrote:
> If you don't care about the LTO4s being able to read the LTO 2 tapes
> just change the media type to something different on the 4s (HCART2 or
> HCART3).  Netbackup automatically will not load the "wrong" media type
> in the "wrong" drive even if it is technically capable of reading it.

This will happen by default - you have to fiddle painfully to try to get
NetBackup to use non-native tapes in drives.

> On 1/19/10, Scott Jacobson<SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com>  wrote:
>> Ok, I'll try again.
>>
>> Looking through some archives there are various discussions, but not that I
>> can see with an SL8500/ACSLS environment.
>>
>> So, if anyone with experience sharing LTO II and LTO IV drives in the same
>> non-partitioned library, I'd appreciate in hearing about their bar code
>> labeling and other requirements that allows each drive type to coexist and
>> work with each other.

It just works (we had, until recently, LTO-2/3/4 in our SL8500).

>> BONUS QUESTION- Anyone with the each of these drive types that are running
>> Vault Tape Duplication, any tips on what not to try or run?

Sorry, can't answer this - we don't use Vault.

>> Thanks - sj
>>
>> I'll pass on own my assumptions and ask for clarifications from the group.
>>
>> NBU 6.5.1
>> ACSLS 7.1
>> SL8500 - standard basic install
>>
>> I'm not looking to do any partitioning which I believe requires ACSLS 7.2,
>> but I'm not sure if 7.2 is still required for what I'm wanting to do.
>>
>> I'm going to add four LTO IV drives and what I understand is the new L4
>> labeling versus the existing L2 suffix is all that is need for ACSLS,
>> library and NBU to distinguish the between the differences of tapes and
>> drives, or is the creation of another volume group also required.
>>
>> Any prerequisites, top down review or configuration requirements are
>> appreciated - thank you in advance.
>>
>> Scott J.

Carl Elkins, Team Leader, Storage & Backups,
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambridge, UK