Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master with multiple NIC's

2010-01-15 12:29:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master with multiple NIC's
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:29:32 -0700
Thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully I won't be doing that in the future but it is always good to have ideas on how to make it work if I do.

Jeff

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM, A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 04:45:12PM -0700, Jeff Cleverley wrote:
> Are you modifying the routing tables on the clients?

Nope.

> When used to do it with Data Protector/Omniback we found was that the master
> server on subnet A did route using network B to a subnet B client.  The
> problem was that the client looked at who the server was and got a subnet A
> IP address back.  That sent all the data from the client through the
> router.  We basically had to create a media server name on the master that
> was on subnet B.  Then the clients backed up through the correct subnet.
>
> It seemed like when we tried to do this with Veritas (probably 5.1) it had
> the same behavior.

That shouldn't happen.  The Server should start the TCP connections from
the correct interface.  In fact this problem would happen if interface A
were listed as "required network interface" for the server.

One thing you can do on the clients to at least notice if this is
happening is to give the server interfaces explicit names, and only
authorize the name on the correct subnet for that client.

So for your server you might have names "server-A" and "server-B".  On
client B, only put "server-B" in the authorized servers list.  If
"server-A" did try to contact it, it wouldn't respond, and if "server-B"
contacts it (as is correct), it will have a direct route to that
address.

--
Darren

Jeff Cleverley