Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Exec Encryption

2009-12-23 18:05:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Exec Encryption
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Jimenez, Daniel" <Daniel.Jimenez AT owb DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:05:52 -0600
On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Jimenez, Daniel <Daniel.Jimenez AT owb DOT com> wrote:

I would like to get an idea on how I can setup a low cost AES 256 encryption on Backup Exec. It can be software or hardware based. Any assistance would be appreciated.

The current versions of Backup Exec support software-based encryption with the usual cpu-hit caveats.   You can also go with something like a Decru DataFort - there is a SCSI variant as well as fibre variant.  We use a bunch of these in front of our LTO-3 drives.

If cost is the primary factor, then the software approach might be the cheapest.  Depending on how many drives you have, it might also be cheaper to replace a single LTO-2 with an LTO-4 although then you don't think you get backwards read-compatibility for your LTO-2 tapes.

Lots of options...

   .../Ed