Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cookbook to use alternate NIC for client backups.

2009-12-18 12:40:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cookbook to use alternate NIC for client backups.
From: "William Brown" <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:39:30 +0100

Does anyone have a short cookbook how to correctly setup a 2nd interface on a Unix (Solaris) client, so all backup traffic uses that NIC?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269879 has some detail which I was expecting, like using on the Client REQUIRED_INTERFACE=<FQDN of backup NIC>

It does not make clear if we have to adjust the CLIENT_NAME also in the Client bp.conf; by default we would set it to the ‘real’ name of the Client, but I suspect that will not do.  These servers will have Oracle agent so must be able to do client-initiated backup & restore, which is where I think that CLIENT_NAME is important.

The technote does say that in policies the name used must be the same as the REQUIRED_INTERFACE on the client.  I guess we can live with that, but does anyone know any ways to not do that?  I can see it puzzling people when asked for restores of client X and it is actually called X-2.

Page 58 of the 6.5 Admin Guide II for UNIX also has an example for a client of REQUIRED_INTERFACE, and elsewhere it says the CLIENT_NAME must match what is used in policies.

There is the ALTNAMES mechanism which I don’t entirely understand but I get the impression is more designed to allow client-initiated backups to come from the ‘wrong’ name. There is detail in Admin Guide II about /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/host.xlate” but that also does not look useful.

So it reads like:

CLIENT_NAME=REQUIRED_INTERFACE=<Network name of 2nd NIC>=<Name used in policies>

That the best  I can get?

William D L Brown