Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup Report Status by each mount point.

2009-12-17 19:42:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup Report Status by each mount point.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:42:20 +0000
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 05:00:29PM -0700, Donaldson, Mark wrote:
> You'll have to use bpimagelist to get the majority of the information,
> it'll have the start & elapsed times (you can calculate end time) for
> each image.  It'll also have the backupid for that image.

I use this method for a "backup checker" that polls the catalog to see
what's been backed up.  Yeah a lot of work to create, but can be
powerful.

I'll fill in a couple of bits on my use of bpflist.

> You could then use bpflist and that backupid to get a view of the backup
> which occurred.  From that, if you sort to the shortest path (by subdir
> count) you could then infer which filesystem was backed up by that
> backupid.
>
> Just quickly... here's the IMAGE record from a backup of mine:
>
> IMAGE lp91 0 0 8 lp91_1261022563 Smaug_FS 0 *NULL* NetBackup Incr 1 3
> 1261022563 2742 1263700963 0 0 44557223 6643 1 29 0
> Smaug_FS_1261022563_INCR.f *NULL* *NULL* 0 1 0 0 0 *NULL* 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
> *NULL* 0 0 0 *NULL* 586876 0 0 709075 0 0 *NULL* *NULL* 0 0
>
> Buried in here are field for start time, elapsed time, etc.
>
> Then you could cross-reference through bpflist:
>
> bpflist -client lp91 -backupid lp91_1261022563 \
> -policy Smaug_FS -d 12/15/2009 -rl 9 -option ONLY_DIRS \
> | awk '{print $10}' |sort -r | tail

One thing about bpflist.  Once you have the backupid, you don't need the
dates (or the policy).  It makes you give a date argument, but you could
just toss in a random date in the past.

Also, I guess I'm just lucky, but when I look at my images via bpflist,
the top of the tree for all my devices is always the first entry.  So I
just read the first entry and toss the rest.  So far so good on NBU
standard clients and on Netapp NDMP jobs.

Only thing it doesn't work on in my environment is an Isilon filesystem.
That one doesn't necessarily record a file for the top of the tree on an
incr.  The file list only shows changed files which may be a couple of
levels below the requested point.

> /smaug/vol/documentum03/ap04_data_dcm/index/data/fulltext/
> /smaug/vol/documentum03/ap04_data_dcm/index/data/
> /smaug/vol/documentum03/ap04_data_dcm/index/
>
> That last line is the "top level" of the files that were backed up.
>
> It probably could be sorted better - use a field-count based on "/" as a
> field separator.  Shortest field-count wins.

Note that you've asked for all those files with the -rl 9 on your
command.  You could also run the command with -rl 1, -rl 2, ... until
something pops out.  I'm not sure that's any easier than postprocessing
the output, though.

If these are all standard backups, the -option FILESYSTEM_ONLY should
help isolate them.  But that option doesn't seem to help me with my NDMP
backups.  I still see all the files/dirs.

--
Darren