Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Advanced Client Backup For Exchange

2009-12-03 10:41:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Advanced Client Backup For Exchange
From: <briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:41:27 -0600

We are trying to implement a new backup design for our current Exchange 2003 environment.   Today, we use standard network based backups over the LAN and do daily full backups using NetBackup 6.5.4.   With a project to expand our current mailbox quotas for our Field clients,  we needed an improved backup option for performance and application/server impact.   We are implementing offhost backups using Netbackup’s advanced client with snapshots that integrate with Microsoft’s Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and HDS’s Shadow Image.   Our testing went pretty good but we are now in production on a subset of servers and are seeing multiple issues with VSS going into a failed state.

It looks like there have been multiple issues with VSS on W2K3 servers in the past and we do have a few patches to apply.    I am hoping to hear from someone that has tried something similar, any best practices, is there a way to get VSS to multi-thread, any tips/tricks/gotcha’s?  I’m wondering if VSS is truly enterprise capable of handling multiple 250 GB Information Stores.

TIA

Brian

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information of Northwestern Mutual. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Northwestern Mutual immediately by returning it to the sender and delete all copies from your system. Please be advised that communications received via the Northwestern Mutual Secure Message Center are secure. Communications that are not received via the Northwestern Mutual Secure Message Center may not be secure and could be observed by a third party. Thank you for your cooperation.