Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware backups to remote VMware Backup proxy server

2009-11-17 17:13:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware backups to remote VMware Backup proxy server
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:13:16 -0600

I don't think you would like the results of this solution. As you know, a snapshot of the vm is copied to the backup proxy's holding tank and it isn't released on the ESX server until this is completed. I'm pretty sure you would end up with snapshots being released before the copy process is done, and thus you would get failed backups. Best practice is to get these done as quickly as possible.

Even doing a normal backup with the client on the vm will take forever, based on Ed's math.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

11/17/2009 10:03 AM

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] VMware backups to remote VMware Backup proxy server

Is backing VMware machines feasible to a remote VMware Backup proxy server over a T1 line ?

We’re about to virtualize some clients at a remote facility (Ripon, WI) and have been advised by support (datakink) that we won’t be able to use our ESX server as the backup proxy server and that we should make the current NBU media server (St. Louis, MO) the proxy server for the VMware backups.

We’re talking about 4 Virtual hosts with about 200GB of data between them.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Glazerman
Enterprise Storage Administrator
Spartech Corporation
Desk: 314-889-8282
Fax: 314-854-8282
Cell: 618-520-3401
mark.glazerman AT spartech DOT com
http://www.spartech.com
P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, are intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, and do not copy or forward it.