Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Some odd Netbackup Questions.

2009-11-04 12:14:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Some odd Netbackup Questions.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:10:36 +0000
On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 01:03:14PM +0200, Johan Redelinghuys wrote:
> 1.       Storage Units:
>
> You have 2 x LTO4 drives. Would you create one stu with two drives in it
> or would you create a stu for each drives?
>
> # I've found that in some cases it better to create two stu's. When a
> policy starts, it "grabs" the allocated stu and although it only uses
> the one drive, it holds on to the other and the next backup queue's.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Do you mean that you don't see
two separate clients/policies using the same STU?  If one policy uses
one drive, other policies should be able to use the other drive at the
same time.

The one that queues says it's waiting on the STU?  And the initial
policy is really only using one drive?

> With two separate stu's, the one drive is always available when one is
> in use. To make use of the other drive if the policy should need it,
> the
> stu is not made "On demand only" and Storage Unit in the policy is set
> to "Any Available". Also if one drive goes down, the storage unit can
> still allocate the working drive.
>
> @ Your thoughts?

I've never seen the issue that I think you're describing.

--
Darren