Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Adding a DataDomain VTL need advice

2009-10-19 10:30:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Adding a DataDomain VTL need advice
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: John Meyers <john.meyers AT wright DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:27:16 -0400

Hi

We just finished adding DataDomain to our environment, and did not use VTL.  We use CIFS and NFS and
evertything is working fine.

----------------------------------
Carl Stehman
Distributed Services
Pepcoholdings, Inc.
701 Ninth St NW
Washington DC 20068
202-331-6619
------------------------------------

John Meyers <john.meyers AT wright DOT edu>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

10/19/2009 08:58 AM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Make sure you understand that fibre for the Data Domain is an add on so
> costs extra.  In our planning we were going to do fibre but didn’t order
> the add on so ended up having to do GigE with NFS mounts instead.   To
> get throughput we wanted we had to work on doing network aggregation.
>
> Having said all that the Data Domains work pretty much as advertised and
> the high compression/deduplication numbers are a reality.

We just did the same thing, end up tagging a DD690 onto a EMC storage bid
and got so focused on the storage bid that we overlooked the fact that the
DD690 as spec'd to us didn't include the FC/VTL option.  Although honestly
I'm not sure that the VTL functionality would really be a plus.  With the
CIFS/NFS configuration, it's simple matter to setup a disk storage or
staging unit to the DD690.  No extra NB licenses costs involved either.
Just wish we had the FC bandwidth available to us.

In the couple weeks we've been using it, we've been seeing pretty phenomenal
compression and de-dup rates.

John

--
John Meyers
Lead Systems Programmer

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.