Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Adding a DataDomain VTL need advice

2009-10-19 09:01:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Adding a DataDomain VTL need advice
From: John Meyers <john.meyers AT wright DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:58:22 -0400
Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Make sure you understand that fibre for the Data Domain is an add on so
> costs extra.  In our planning we were going to do fibre but didn’t order
> the add on so ended up having to do GigE with NFS mounts instead.   To
> get throughput we wanted we had to work on doing network aggregation.
>
> Having said all that the Data Domains work pretty much as advertised and
> the high compression/deduplication numbers are a reality.

We just did the same thing, end up tagging a DD690 onto a EMC storage bid
and got so focused on the storage bid that we overlooked the fact that the
DD690 as spec'd to us didn't include the FC/VTL option.  Although honestly
I'm not sure that the VTL functionality would really be a plus.  With the
CIFS/NFS configuration, it's simple matter to setup a disk storage or
staging unit to the DD690.  No extra NB licenses costs involved either.
Just wish we had the FC bandwidth available to us.

In the couple weeks we've been using it, we've been seeing pretty phenomenal
compression and de-dup rates.

John

--
John Meyers