Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NMDP backups on EMC Celerra Netbackup 6.5.3

2009-10-15 14:57:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NMDP backups on EMC Celerra Netbackup 6.5.3
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: "Ryan, Dan" <DRyan AT medplus DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:54:10 -0500

You also need to ensure that the filer can resolve your backup server, and if I recall correctly, NDMP control traffic goes over ports 10000 and 10001 so these need to be open.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Ryan, Dan" <DRyan AT medplus DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

10/15/2009 08:49 AM

VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] NMDP backups on EMC Celerra Netbackup 6.5.3

You need to check to see if server_2 is available in DNS and is fully
resolvable from your netbackup server.  Server_2 on the Celerra usually
refers to the data mover you are running on.  Netbackup doesn't care
which datamover you run on, just the interface into that datamover.  In
my old environment, we used a name an alias of ns700a-2 and pointing
that to the datamover's network interface.  Also, make sure that you
have setup the NDMP connection from your Windows 2003 server using the
set_ndmp_attr command.  This is the command sets the NDMP filer and user
name and password for NDMP (which should be setup on the Celerra).  EMC
has this documented in it either the Celerra Administration guide or
there is a powerlink article for Backups for Celerra.  I cannot remember
off of the top of my head, but I do know they exist.

We had the same problems, and the documentation is not that great in
fixing the connection problems, but I think that will help.
Hopefully that helps.

Dan Ryan