Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Converting stand-alone Master to clustered Master

2009-10-13 16:27:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Converting stand-alone Master to clustered Master
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT staples DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:24:26 -0500
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Donaldson, Mark <Mark.Donaldson AT staples DOT com> wrote:
Page 14 of the NB High Availability guide:

=========
NetBackup does not support the conversion of an existing non-failover
NetBackup server to a failover NetBackup server.  Contact Symantec
Enterprise Technical Support.
=========

Huh?

Should be easy, I'd think.  Why would I need Tech Support?

I would think that converting one would mean renaming the master server.

At last week's NetBackup Customer Forum in Roseville, at the "Ask the Wizards" session, I again raised the question of when Symantec would support us renaming a master server.  The answer was "when it requires less than 15 steps on a Windows server - and those steps have to be done in *exactly* the right order."  Apparently it's down to 10 steps if you edit the registry, which means you're unsupported by both Symantec and Microsoft :-).  We didn't discuss how easier or harder it would be on *nix.

Has anyone done this?

BTW: also converting from Solaris to Linux at the same time if I can
pull this off...

Unofficially, apparently there are no differences in the binary format of the catalog between Solaris and Linux.   EMM might be another story.  Now I would expect you (or somebody) to eventually test this.  And then report back, because I'm thinking about a Solaris to Linux migration too :-)

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org