Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "Orphaned" scratch tapes

2009-10-12 09:07:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "Orphaned" scratch tapes
From: scott.george AT parker DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:03:13 -0400
We ran into a situation last week where we hit a tipping point that there
would be more scratch tapes needed than were coming back from off site.
Being the curious person that I am, I ran some commands to figure out what
we had coming back, what were already in the library, and others that fell
into neither category.  I verified the first two numbers with my operator
on duty, and was thoroughly astonished by the third number, which ended up
being over 900 tapes, some of which haven't been mounted since January
2007.  I produced a list of these "orphaned" tapes for my operator, and he
recalled them from offsite.  It turned out to be a good list.

My question is, has anybody experienced a problem with vaulting that tapes
are not being recalled properly when they expire?  If so, how did you
address it.  My "solution" is to produce an orphan list at a certain
interval to recall these tapes, but I would like to get to the bottom of
the issue and put it to rest.

Thank you!
PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.