Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] erase option to bplabel does what?

2009-10-09 15:46:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] erase option to bplabel does what?
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <ddunham AT taos DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:41:58 -0500
SCSI quick erase rewinds the media and an erase gap is recorded on the
media. The format of this gap is drive dependent. It may be an
end-of-data (EOD) mark or a recorded pattern that the drive does not
recognize as data.

Some drives do not support a quick erase (such as QUANTUM DLT7000). For
the drives that do not support a quick erase, the new tape header that
is written acts as an application-specific quick erase.

So I believe that bplabel (no erase) just rewrites in the "label" part
at the front of the tape.
Where the short erase makes a gap (meaning that the first BOD for an
image is destroyed).