Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Java GUI Console Issues (RESOLUTION)

2009-09-23 16:28:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Java GUI Console Issues (RESOLUTION)
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>, "Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com" <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:26:51 -0400

Actually, as I was looking over some stale-but-still-open cases I have with Symantec earlier today, I realized that my snark may be misplaced.

There are certain places where NBU will insist on using the shortname for a master or media server, because that's how it's stored in EMM, even if a given host lists the master and media servers in its local configuration by FQDN. The circumstance that I've run into is when trying to perform backups of Active Directory servers with the "granular recovery" option enabled: the majority of System State was simply not backed up, the cause for which came down to the client retrieving the name of the master server to which to send the granular data through EMM (rather than its own config) and then being unable to contact that master server because it cannot resolve the FQDN of the master server that, from AD's point of view, lives in a different "domain" and, for reasons I'll never fully understand, AD has naming and security policy intertwined in such a way that it breaks things to have a given domain controller appear in a domain controlled by some other DC. So then no data got sent without enabling the client side to resolve short names into the "outside" domain in some way.

(And, of course, I was kidding anyway, Rusty. Just so that part's clear. :^>)

--

Gabriel Rosenkoetter

Radian Group Inc, Senior Systems Engineer

gabriel.rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz, 215 231 1556

... or you could fix your broken DNS. ;^>