Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dates in bpadm

2009-09-16 10:14:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dates in bpadm
From: gregsih <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:38:00 -0400
Run `bpconfig -L` to get your "Display Reports" setting.  You may find it to be
some absurdly high number not found in nature, like mine was:

# /usr/openv/netbakcup/bin/admincmd/bpconfig -L
Display Reports:        6357058 hours ago

Now somehow, `bpadm` uses the above value to come with...SOMETHING, which it
subtracts from "right now" to arrive at the Start Date.  Clearly, I didn't go
back 103 years (on mine, my start dates are in 1965) so there must be some
overflow or 32 or 64 bit math or something to keep it from LITERALLY using that
value.  Whatever it is, it should be pretty consistent - if you recheck the
Reports menu five seconds after the last time you generate it, you should find
that the Start Date has also moved up five seconds.

This value can be reset with `bpconfig -ha <hours>` to something much lower if
you are so inclined.  I've also found that when you set it to a sane value
(like 24 or 48), it actually DOES calculate the Start Date out where you'd
expect it to be- a relative value from now, subtracting the number of hours in
your bpconfig output.

Anticipating your next question, I have no idea when/where/how NetBackup
chooses/chose a seemingly (but surely not!) random, incredibly high number to
use as the default value.  I believe it depends on your O/S and architecture at
the time you first install NetBackup, but that's speculation.  (For example, I
bet Stuart and J. were both running the same Linux when that value was set.)  I
expect it was set back when I installed NBU 5.1 fresh and got carried over
through all my upgrades.

(If I can't get THIS marked as a solution, there's no hope for me.  ;-)  )

Many thanks to CRZ (a Symantec Employee) for this one.

Greg