Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Expired media not returning to SCRATCH & Vault

2009-09-15 20:05:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Expired media not returning to SCRATCH & Vault
From: Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:02:24 -0400
On Tuesday 15 September 2009 04:22:33 pm Tim Hoke wrote:
> When a tape is suspended, it won't be used for any write operations until
> it expires.  When all the images expire, cleanup operations will run and it
> should become un-suspended and made available for use.  This differs from
> frozen in that frozen media require manual intervention (even after all
> images expire).

Thanks for clarifying this!

> So, the first course of action is to determine why the media isn't becoming
> expired. 1. When your cleanup jobs run, what is the exit status code? Zero
> or something else? - You can initiate a cleanup job by running 'bpimage
> -cleanup'

When the cleanup process runs , the exit code is 0 and when I run it manually
with bpimage I receive no error...

>  2. If you run bpexpdate -deassignempty, what happens?

Wow.  I get a list of exactly ALL the tapes (around 50) having this exact
issue!  But bad news... After it asks me if I'm sure if I want to continue I
get, for every tape, a line like this:

Could not deassign media-id 000498, host myhost: database system error (220)

So...once again the "database system error".

> 3. What happens when you un-suspend the media? (bpmedia -unsuspend -m
> <string> -v [-h <hostname>])

I can perfectly suspend/unsuspend (Exit status = 0).  The problem seems to be
with unassigning...

> 4 . In either case above, what does all log entries report tell you?

Ok, I'll need to create the relevant dirs and restart the services.  I'l check
that and I'l keep looking for this "dabase system error" that seems to be the
main culprit of all this behaviour.  Thanks Tim for pointing me to the right
direction.

Best regards,
Jorge

> P.S. Do you have a support contract?  Now would be a good time to call...
> hint, hint, nudge, nudge

We were in the renewal process a couple of weeks ago. I need to check that :)