Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows 2k3 client backing up to 6.5.2 Sol. 10 master hangs

2009-09-10 21:11:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2k3 client backing up to 6.5.2 Sol. 10 master hangs
From: rjrumfelt <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:50:55 -0400
but does not time out and fail.  We have to manually kill it.

I did a search and could not find any threads that seem relevant to this
specific issue.

We have a 2K3 client backing up to a 6.5.2 Solaris master server, and it hangs
up more than it successfully backs up.  We are backing up the c, system state,
and several other locally attached drives.  We have it currently set to the
"All Local Drives" directive,   After playing around with it for a while, we
were able to get successful backups backing up each drive individually, however
I do not think this actually has anything to do with a fix, I think we were
just lucky.

We've checked the bpbrm logs on the master, and the bpbkar logs on the client.
At the point where the backup hangs, we see the following message repeated
until we kill the backup in the bpbkar log on the client (I do not currently
have access to the client, so I cut and pasted the logs from one of the
technotes and modified them for my situation):

5:33:26.637 PM: [4988.5860] <2> dtcp_write: TCP - success: send socket (1828),
1 of 1 bytes
5:33:26.637 PM: [4988.4604] <2> dtcp_read: TCP - success: recv socket (520), 4
of 4 bytes
5:33:26.668 PM: [4988.4604] <2> dtcp_read: TCP - success: recv socket (520), 4
of 4 bytes
5:34:26.637 PM: [4988.5860] <2> dtcp_write: TCP - success: send socket (1828),
1 of 1 bytes

When checking the bpbrm logs on the master, the logs stop updating the minute
we start seeing the messages above.

Now I found a technote that seems very similar to this situation, the link to
the technote pasted below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325624.htm

We have also verified that VSS is enabled, and that we can manually create
snapshots using both Windows commands and NBU commands (bpfis) and there were
no issues.

I am wondering if anyone else out there has had this issue, and if so, were you
able to do anything about it - as Symantec says there's not going to be a
published fix until a newer version is released.

I was thinking maybe an uninstall/reinstall of the NBU client might work, as
the client was backing up fine before being rebuilt.