Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media error stops entire backup

2009-08-10 07:45:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media error stops entire backup
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 06:42:05 -0500
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:06 AM, annym <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

Hello community, this last weekend I had an error on one tape. This tape is in a tape robot and the error indicates media error for this tape.

The problem however is that I had hoped that Netbackup should handle this issue by not trying to use this tape but take another one from the scratch pool. This didn't happened. Netbackup tried to mount this tape several times instead of using another tape. I had 13 more tape s in the scratchpool when his happened. This resulted in that the entire fullbackup failed this weekend. What also happened is that the robot drive went into down state.

The problem is that when you get a media error, you don't know if it's the drive or the media.   When tape read or write errors are encountered, NetBackup downs the drive.  Your MSL2024 only has a single drive, so your robot went down.

I don't know if there is anyway to configure Netbackup to handle this scenario.

Since it requires human intervention to tell if it's the drive or the robot, the best thing to do right now would be have something like NOM alert you when the drive goes down.  NOM is free and the alerting does work.

   .../Ed