Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NETBACKUP WITH ENCRYPTION OPTION

2009-08-07 16:52:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NETBACKUP WITH ENCRYPTION OPTION
From: "Daniel Otto" <dan_otto AT symantec DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:49:34 -0700
When you use NBU client side encryption it removes any repeatable
patterns that the tape drive hardware compression works off. So there is
nothing to compress and so you end up using more tape space.
The only way to get around this issue is to also run with client side
compression since NBU will compress first then encrypt. But it adds even
more delays to the backup time. I would figure a fudge facture of 2-3
times increase in the backup time an average with both options in play.
Hope this helps.
Dan O