Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SLP

2009-07-30 11:25:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SLP
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:21:54 -0400
- So what I understand you are doing is using the SLP to get around the
boundaries of tape pools being assigned to a given media, this way all the data
gets backed up by a pool of all of the tapes as one group?
- Yes, we backup to disk into one or two pools, with a short retention (SLP
actually sets retention to infinite so no danger of losing data, then reverts
to short retention, so it expires and the tape becomes the active primary copy)

- I assume vault is the underlying technology but the SLP is just the layer at
which you configure and run it all.  Do you need the Shared Storage Option for
this?
- Nope - only if you want to share drives.

- In your experience does the data get split across all of the drives evenly?
If one tape finishes its list of images does it just sit there or does NBU find
more data for it to backup? (similarly to how the resource manager would do
when we used to copy straight to tape)?
- Yes, it balances across drives well. You have to do some parameter
configuration in terms of how large a backup to write immediately or how long
to wait before duping to optimize this.

- I guess this could help keep my drives spinning, won't do much for my speed
issue but it seems like it could help with the data allocation... thanks for
your advice.
- You are welcome.