Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vaulting images from disk = slow tape speed, ideas???

2009-07-28 13:43:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vaulting images from disk = slow tape speed, ideas???
From: jkearns <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:40:13 -0400
The core is a 6905 Cisco backbone 128GB backplane... everything is on Gig
ports... the backups that went to tape came across a two nic team on the master
server and a two nic team on the media server.  We have added four more nics on
each server in three teams.  The DSU has 12 one gig-e connections.  The data
has been strategically placed across the 12 ports/shares so all the data
doesn't come from just one system housing DSUs.  The same core pushed the
muliplexed tapes drive to around 60 Gb/hr... the same amount of data is coming
in.. .now just across a wider pipe to single threaded tape drives.  The data
flies going into the DSU.

Thanks,
Jim

[quote] I'm assuming you went from a media server attached to a fiber channeled
tape drive to a media server attached to a network attached disk
appliance - depending on your core backbone I would say that is your
performance degradation. How many hops to the DSU?, are the ASIC's over
subscribed?, stuff like that is where I would start

Tim Needham, Sr. Backup Engineer
Apollo Group | Information Technology | Data Protection