Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tru64 and LTO4 drives

2009-07-22 11:37:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tru64 and LTO4 drives
From: Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:32:02 -0500
Hello list,

     The data center in which I work recently purchased a Spectra Logic
T380 and T200 tape library running IBM LTO-4 tape drives for our local
and remote site, respectively. After zoning the libraries in, installing
the device mappings files from Symantec support and what not, I decided
to test some backup and restores, only to get terrible throughput. My
Spectra Logic field tech informed me that I should be able to expect a
theoretical upper limit transfer rate of about 120 MB/s. I'm getting
anywhere from 9 MB/s to 50 MB/s.

     I tried adjusting the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS per
the Netbackup tuning guide, and that helped me get up towards the 50
MB/s rate, but that's still a little under half what I should be seeing.

     I've opened cases with Symantec and Spectra Logic. The latter had
me download the ITDT tool from IBM and we ran some basic tests going
straight from my Linux master server to a drive on the library. We
consistently achieved around 110 MB/s throughput. IBM unfortunately
never wrote a version of ITDT for Tru64, so I logged a call with HP and
we've been using the time and dd command to calculate how long it takes
to write zeroes to a tape, like this:

/bin/time dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ntape/tape16_d1 bs=60k count=1361163

I've tried tape16 and tape16_d1 device special files, and we're
consitently getting around 50 MB/s throughput. If I issue the same
command, but of to /dev/null, the command runs in a few minutes, so I'm
pretty sure my server can handle the load.

My question is this: Does anyone out there use Tru64 with LTO 3 or 4
drives? If so, what kind of throughput are you getting and (if you're
getting better than 50 MB/s) did you have to perform any weird voodoo to
get that throughput?

Thank you.

- Heathe Kyle