Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Which is Best for My NetBackup Master - 32

2009-07-17 10:53:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Which is Best for My NetBackup Master - 32
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Eagle, Kent" <KEagle AT wilmingtontrust DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:50:38 -0500
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Eagle, Kent <KEagle AT wilmingtontrust DOT com> wrote:
Avoid putting a page file on a fault-tolerant drive, such as a mirrored
volume or a RAID-5 volume. Page files do not need fault-tolerance, and
some fault-tolerant systems suffer from slow data writes because they
write data to multiple locations.

This is crazy!  If you have a hardware failure on a disk that hosts the pagefile, you *will* crash.  You obviously want a decent raid controller, but there's no way I'd avoid a hardware-mirrored volume just for performance.

If your access to the page file is that high that you are saturating a mirrored disk, then you've got major memory constraint issues to deal with.  Fault tolerance is the least of your problems.

Disks do exactly 3 things:
1.  They read
2.  They write
3.  They fail