Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] interview questions

2009-07-16 15:30:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] interview questions
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:27:29 -0500
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:
I'll take a swag.  Why not?

Restore OS and Catalog to alternate server environment.  Then import missing images info and EMM database?  In my book this is definitely a support call to Symantec or email to Ed. =P

I sure as heck hope you don't mean me!  I've never had to recover from a master server outage (build that sucker so it won't really fail!).  My first call would be to Datalink, our current NBU support vendor.

As part of a catalog backup, you can send yourself an email with the details on how to recover.  Not only does the entire team get this emailed to their work email addresses, 3 of us get it to our personal off-site emails.  With this and the manuals, you *can* recover.  Eventually.

In general, when you get a major osh*t, call the support vendor first.  Don't try and fix it yourself unless you really know what you're doing since not only will you do it slowly, you could be creating a big mess for yourself that will be even harder to recover from.  Ask the folks who do this regularly.  Sure, most of us can read the manuals and follow the instructions in an emergency, but we don't recover very often (if ever, unless you have a good DR plan).
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org