Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] interview questions

2009-07-16 15:17:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] interview questions
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "SACHIN ARORA" <sachinar1 AT gmail DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:11:49 -0400
I'll take a swag.  Why not?

IPCONFIG (Windows) / IFCONFIG (Linux).  You also might need to run this through hostname resolution depending on the config.

As a flat file in the netbackup\db\images

In linux mtx might work.  I'm not sure there is a similar windows command / tool. Alternately the robot probably has a web or command line interface.

Restore OS and Catalog to alternate server environment.  Then import missing images info and EMM database?  In my book this is definitely a support call to Symantec or email to Ed. =P

bpimport can be used to do phase 1 / 2 importing of disk images - commands below:
bpimport -create_db_info -id <PATH TO FILES> -L <LOG FILE>
bpimport -id <PATH TO FILES> -L <PATH TO LOG>
My understanding is that this depends quite a bit on the version on NBU you are running. This isn't my forte so I'll let someone else respond.

netbackup performance relies on a lot of different factors including but not limited to:
CPU / Memory utilization of Client, Media and Master Servers
Network Bandwidth Available
I/O Available from Disk Storage
Buffer Setting (Number of Buffers, Type of Buffers)
This question is quite open ended, and varies heavily depending on the situation.

Better luck next time.

-Jonathan