Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6: Help backing-up Whatsup SQL 2005 DB

2009-06-16 22:08:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6: Help backing-up Whatsup SQL 2005 DB
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Wilkinson, Tim" <Tim.Wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:04:51 -0400
If I'm not mistaken the "WHATSUP" is your SQL Server instance.  Basically, you can run multiple instances of SQL Server on the same box but for security reasons make them separate from an application perspective.  Most SQL is installed with the "Default" instance, but occasionally some new guy will hit the radio button during install for a non-default instance and hose everything up for everyone else who isn't a MS SQL guru by naming it something retarded like "WHATSUP".  The best way to tell if you are running multiple instances is probably to check the Services.  Generally there will be a SQL Server (INSTANCE NAME) entry for each instance.  Its probably too much to ask to reinstall SQL at this point if they are not using instances, so you are just going to have to specify the server name and instance whenever connecting to this box.  Documentation of configuring MSSQL backups can be found here.

If you are running multiple instances you will have to use the MS SQL Client piece to put in the SA password for each of the instances.  You might be able to create a .Bch file for each instance and then merge them into a single .bch file so you can get "one full" for that server, but I've never tried it.  Alternately, just add each script as a separate selection under the selection list.

Good luck!

-Jonathan