Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problem with allocating media on Netbackup 4.5

2009-06-11 04:39:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problem with allocating media on Netbackup 4.5
From: david.egger AT external.thalesaleniaspace DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:36:13 +0200

Hello,

since yesterday, I have a major problem with backing up on Netbackup 4.5
This morning, all the backups failed with error code 96, although there was scratch tapes available for backups.
I can notice that :

- scratch tapes have been assigned to the requested pool automatically when the backup started
- backup failed immediately with error code 96
- no entity found on the assigned tape
- if I try to change pool manually from scratch pool to "Full_I" pool (needed for a host backup regarding the schedule policy), the same problem occurs :
tape assigned in the right pool, but backup fails.

As we are running out of spare tapes, we have decided to reuse tapes that haven't reached their retention level yet, but will soon.
To do so, I ran the following :

bpimmedia -L -mediaid <media_id>
-> to check images on tape : no entity was found

vmquery -deassignbyid <media_id> <source_pool> 0

When I run a bpmedialist -summary | grep <media_id>, I get an expiration date that will occure in 1 week
When I run a bpexpdate -m <media_id> -d 0, I get the following : requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database

Do you think I have a Media manager or media database corruption ?

Thank you

David EGGER
Thales Alenia Space - Toulouse
DSI / Administration des Ressources
email : david.egger AT external.thalesaleniaspace DOT com