Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] In-File Delta Technology

2009-06-08 13:20:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] In-File Delta Technology
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:16:29 +0100
> Is there a way to perform incremental backups using in-file
> delta technology (backup only changes within a file)?  I've seen a lot
of
> features/options for Netbackup but I have never seen this...If indeed
there
> isn't ...why isn't this type of ESSENTIAL technology part of
> Netbackup?

As others have said this is what all deduplication products do, at least
for any file larger than their minimum.  Most have a window size of a
certain number of blocks that they look at, calculate a hash value, and
then see if they already have that hash stored in their tracking database
- if they do then they just replace the data with a pointer to the blocks
already stored.  There's a lot more detail, and it is the detail that
differentiates the various solutions out in the market.  Files below a
certain size are just backed up anyhow as it takes longer to do the sums
than it is worth.

To say NetBackup doesn't do this isn't quite accurate.  It supports lots
of different VTLs and now several OpenStorage products that include
deduplication, so at the point where the backup is stored you can get your
savings - for example your virtual machine backups I'm sure would
deduplicate very well.  What that doesn't save you is actually reading the
backup off the disks and sending it all the way to the backup storage
device.

If you use NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option (PDDO), the
deduplication happens at the NetBackup Media Server.  That Media Server
could be 'close' to the clients - in Solaris it could be the global zone
of a zoned server.   I'm not sure if the Media Server is yet supported in
a VM; the Master is now, and I can't see any technical reason why for a
network-attached storage unit like PDDO it couldn't be supported from a VM
(asides from needing to resource the VM enough) - so you might be able to
have the Media Server in the same physical server as the backed-up VMs.

If you use Symantec PureDisk the deduplication happens in the client (i.e.
your VM) but PureDisk is not NetBackup.  EMC Avamar is also in-client
deduplication.

William D L Brown