Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP NetApp vfiler & millions of files...

2009-06-03 14:50:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP NetApp vfiler & millions of files...
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 18:46:49 +0000
On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 07:17:11PM -0400, ramjet666 wrote:
> We are trying to backup a file system containing hundreds of thousands of
> folders and millions of files.
>
> This data has recently been transferred from a windows 2003 box to a vfiler
> running on a NetApp fas 3020. We are using NDMP from filer to LTO4 and
> getting 6300 KB/Sec.
>
> I know its the amount of files causing the issue, the only thing we can think
> of is robocopying the data to a LUN and backing up a snapshot of it. Seems
> long winded to me.

Have you tested that robocopying millions of files is faster?

Some of this could be poor master server catalog performance as it
writes information about the files.  You might try a full backup with
'HIST=N' set.  That will backup the same files,  but won't send per-file
data to the server.  Makes restores harder.

Another data point is to just use 'dump' on the filer to the 'null'
device and see how long that takes.  You'll never go faster than that.

netapp> dump 0f null /vol/bigvol

> Is there any way to increase the backup performance?

Probably not your issue, but make sure your filer isn't overloaded from
user operations.  If those get high, ontap will deprioritize NDMP so
that it crawls...

--
Darren