Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SCAN-TLD Randomly appearing on Master and

2009-06-02 12:00:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SCAN-TLD Randomly appearing on Master and
From: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>
To: judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com, simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:56:52 -0400

I thought 5 was the default?

I increase the scanability of my master servers to 8 to try to increase the likelihood of the master becoming the scan host.  I’ve seen performance (not just backup, but performance in general) on media servers that have become the scan host for a large number of drives in extremely large environments back in the day.  I just generally don’t like the idea of this functionality existing on a media server if it can be provided by the master.  If I have a master in site A and library/media servers in site B I’ll generally pick one dedicated media server (ie not a big prod Oracle SAN media server) to act as the default scanhost.  Running nbemmcmd –listhosts –verbose will show you the scanability.