Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Migrating a 6.5+ master server from one host to another

2009-06-01 12:14:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Migrating a 6.5+ master server from one host to another
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>, "Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:11:40 -0400
Well, it DOES help if you're actually using the recovered EMM DB, come to think
of it.

I was migrating from a server with the files relocated from under to
/usr/openv/db to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/sybase to a server where, instead, I
opted to locate all DB files under /usr/openv/db, a separate partition, so
/usr/openv/netbackup/db is a sym link to /usr/openv/db/nb-db. Catalog recovery
does not, apparently, perform an online recovery of EMM: rather, it restores
the files from under /usr/openv/db. That meant that I needed to manually move
the DB files (importantly: not the binaries, since I'm switch processor
architecture and OS) from the old data directory (in my case,
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/sybase/data) to the new data directory (in my case, the
normal /usr/openv/db/data).

I'm sure there will be some other details I need to change in this process, but
at least nbemm starts now.

I'd still be interested to hear any tips from those who've tried this in the
past, of course.

One very important one that I'll share right now: so far as nbemm is concerned:
I run it on a service name, not the base OS name. That service name is
currently in /etc/hosts on the new backup server referencing an IP address
alias on the new server. This wouldn't work without that (as services would
start on the new server and then try to talk to nbemm on my old master, which
is still up and running).

--
Gabriel Rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Senior Systems Engineer