Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] Netbackup, VCB, vRanger Policy Setup

2009-05-22 02:15:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] Netbackup, VCB, vRanger Policy Setup
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 02:11:52 -0400
> All,
>
> Just trying to get a policy within NBU setup, and having some
> difficulties getting it setup.  Currently I have the following
> setup:
>
> Policy = XX_VMTest01
>
> Policy Type = MS-Windows-NT
>
> Schedule = Full
>
> Client is the NBU Media Server (also the master)
>
> Backup Selection - ?????? <I need help here on this part>
>
> I have also created a bpstart_notify.XX_VMTest01.bat and it is
> placed in
> the Veritas\Netbackup\bin with the following contents:
>
> If "%2" == "XX_VMtest01" goto backup_test
>  Goto end
> :backup_test
>
> CALL "E:\vizioncore\esxRanger Professional\esxRangerProCli.exe"
> -virtualcenter vc2://Folder=group-v10270 -copylocal E:\mnt -
> drives:db
> -zipname [config]_[weeknum] -onlyon  -vmnotes  -noquiesce  -
> totalasync
> 10 -hostasync 2 -lunasync 3 -vcb  -failbacktolan  -totalvcbasync 2
> -diffratio 50 -maxfullage 1 -retendays 1
>  Goto end
> :end
>
> vRanger works independently from NBU & VCB, if anyone could give
> some
> insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps I missed something earlier, but why are you using two
completely different backup products to do this?

I know _of_ VRanger, but haven't used it.  OTOH, I _have_ used
NetBackup and VMware's VCB and that's all that's necessary (or just
install a normal NetBackup client inside a VM if you need to do
database quiescing or whatnot).

o  set up VirtualCenter and/or ESX credentials once in NetBackup
o  set up a proxy server once
o  configure VMware policy in NetBackup per the 6.5.2 or 6.5.3
update guide, option 3 for full VM plus incrementals, put in a full
(and an incremental if you like) schedule, discover/add in all the
VMs you want, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, Done.  Take the rest of the day off.

It's just too easy.  No VRanger, no kludgy windows batch files, no
synchronization needed.

Do you have some special requirements that are filled by the
multi-vendor, multi-phase backup and restore arrangement you're
trying to convigure?