Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to configure multiplexing?

2009-05-20 13:19:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to configure multiplexing?
From: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
To: "Mark .." <polyfuze_4336 AT yahoo DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:16:34 -0600
There's two ways to do this, one is dependable, the other is less so.

The undependable way, and I don't recommend it, is to configure media sharing and then time all the times to occur at different times.  With luck, they'd all grab the shared tape, mount it locally, and write all the backups sequentially on the tape.

Fat chance and darn near impossible.

The other ways is to force the backups across the network to a single media server and multplex them onto one tape. Tapes will multiplex multiple servers but only through one media server at a time.  I do this with my log file backups, gathering all the security related logs for long-term storage onto a single tape nightly.

Create a policy with your filelist in it.  Choose what storage unit (& media server) you want to use. & populate your client list.

Create your schedule(s) as usual and set your multiplexing factor on them to whatever you want.  Don't exceed the max-multiplexing factor for your storage units you chose above.

So - when the job kicks off, it'll start a backup job on every client in the client list.  Only the "max jobs per policy" will go active, though, and the rest will queue.  One tape will mount on your media server and it'll start to multiplex that many client backups to that one tape.  As each client completes in turn, a queued client will go active and continue to that tape.

HTH - M