Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] AIX 4.3.3 Client

2009-05-15 10:45:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] AIX 4.3.3 Client
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: scott.george AT parker DOT com
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 09:42:33 -0500
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 6:27 AM, <scott.george AT parker DOT com> wrote:
We have an AIX 4.3.3 client that is naturally unsupported, but still
working under NBU 6.0 MP5.  We have scheduled to go to 6.5.3.1, but found
out that this client (I think it is a 4.5 client) will not even work
anymore.  Now we have been told that this may put the brakes on the entire
project.

Here in lies the fun.  If you don't upgrade your backup infrastructure, you'll eventually find other newer clients that you can't support. (e.g. Windows 2008).

I am wondering what creative things people may have done to keep their
ancient clients backing up.

If you can put an NFS server on that AIX box, you might get away with having a media server back it up via NFS.  It makes restores a little uglier since you have to know that the client name isn't really the client (the media server would become the "client".

Alternatively, you could run your own local backup on the AIX server and throw a tarball onto a remote server which then gets picked up by NetBackup.  That means a double-restore operation though.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org