Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy types

2009-05-14 16:09:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy types
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:06:02 -0500
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM, bmcelroy <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

We're discussing creating two policies to backup all of our clients...one for all Windows servers and one for all Unix servers.  I think this would make administration much easier.  Can any of you give me the pros and cons of using only one policy?

There is no right answer and you will find many ways to approach the same problem, and all of them could be considered "right" for the environment.   If you grow into a large environment, one policy per OS type will simply not be manageable.

I'm getting to be a big fan of "one policy per client" myself.  In some cases, I have many policies for a single client (by necessity thanks to the way FlashBackup was implemented).
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org