Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup lun Restore

2009-05-08 17:08:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup lun Restore
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: "David Turner" <Dturner AT manh DOT com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 16:04:39 -0500

You are allowed to restore single file(s) from NDMP backups, though some devices have problems with DDAR, though I am pretty sure NetApp and that releease are ok.
Did you attempt this and run into trouble?

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"David Turner" <Dturner AT manh DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

05/08/2009 01:16 PM

"Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>, <ckstehman AT pepco DOT com>
cc
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu, veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup lun Restore

We are running Netbackup 6.5 (Not 6.0)

We have sql and exchange db attached to Netapp filers (3070 clusters) via iscsi. Currently we back up the dbs using snapmanager for Sql and snapmanager for exchange.  After the dbs are backed up, the snapmanager products replicate the backup jobs to a 3rd Netapp filer for disk staging and then sent to tape.

In order to restore the databases or a single mail message, we have  to first mount the replicated snapshot on a server and then use one of the snapmanager products for the restore. The snapmanager products will list the files and individual items stored in the lun and give the option to restore a single file or the entire lun.

Since the data on the 3rd Netapp filer is backed up to tape using NDMP  we can eliminate step 2. But only if netbackup can list the files and individual items stored in the lun.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Windows master server Netbackup 6.5

Netapp ontap 7.2