Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup long retention does dedup help

2009-05-04 13:13:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup long retention does dedup help
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <PHarmon AT tecoenergy DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 12:10:03 -0500

You cannot dedup to tape, only to disk.

From: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Harmon, Patricia K.
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 11:42 AM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

We backup about  45t a week  that has a retention of  8 years.  We backup to disk and dup to LTO3 tapes with few issues. Except the tape budget is killing us.

Anybody out there have long retentions?  Does de-dupe help save tapes?  We have few restores, so keeping data on disk is not a priority with us.

 Any suggestions.

Thanks.

NOTICE: This email is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not copy or disclose it to anyone else. Although we take precautions to protect against viruses, we advise you to take your own precautions to protect against viruses as we accept no liability for any which remain.