Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host

2009-05-01 10:55:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up multiple Oracle db's from a single host
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Patrick" <netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk>, <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:51:52 -0500
I don't have anywhere near as many DB's as you but we do backup multiple DB's
on a single host.  I don't think that restarting a failed job from inside the
GUI just restarts a backup on the failed DB.  I think that will restart a
backup of all the DB's covered by the policy.

When we want granularity with regard to DB backups on the same server we have
to break them into individual policies which use an RMAN script on the backend
to actually run the backup.  I tend to just copy the existing "catch all"
policy to a new one and rename a new copy of the RMAN script which it calls to
reflect the dayabase it's backing up.

For example Solaris_OraTier2 with /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/rman_backup.sh was
the setup for the catchall policy.  Now I have Solaris_OraTier2_tst11510
calling usr/openv/netbackup/bin/rman_backup_tst11510.sh to backup a specific DB
on that host.  You'll also need separate /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/rman_oratab
files for each backup of a specific DB.

Mark Glazerman
Desk: 314-889-8282
Cell: 618-520-3401
 please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to