Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup LiveUpdate

2009-05-01 09:28:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup LiveUpdate
From: John Yu <jky AT it.bu DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:24:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,

Is anyone using Netbackup LiveUpdate to deploy their client software
upgrades?

One of our issues is that we need a mechanism for running a post-install
script particularlly on the Unix/Linux side to change the default /usr/openv
permissions so our backup administator account has access to backup config
files (e.g. include/exclude files) as well as for troubleshooting.  Gone
are the days of the trusty 'bpgp' tool.  In our backup environment, we do
not have remote root access to our client systems.  We'd prefer not having
to manually login to hundreds of systems to make the modifications.

Symantec wasn't too helpful when we asked whether it was possible to do
this with LiveUpdate.  They pitched Consulting Services.  Argh.

I have looked into modifiying the Netbackup LiveUpdate install script
packages to do what we need but the package installer uses file checksums
on itself so this methods gets difficult especially if I need to modify
multiple packages per OS.

How is everybody handling their client updates?

Thanks,
John