Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Inline Tape Copy vs Storage Unit Groups (and otherITC wierdness)

2009-04-24 18:11:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Inline Tape Copy vs Storage Unit Groups (and otherITC wierdness)
From: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
To: "Girish Jorapurkar" <girishsj AT yahoo DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:08:08 -0600
Our use for storage unit groups is for failover in the possiblity that a
media server goes down.  The only backups we have that go direct to a
standard storage unit is the few servers reachable through our
firewalls.  The permissions are only setup for a single destination for
backups.

Since ITC must use drives on the same media server, regardless of group
or standard stu, then this warning would apply to any use of ITC.  It's
not storage group specific.  Any ITC backup has the possiblity of being
reduced to "slowest device performance" rates.

This warning is confusing and unnecessary in my opinion but I do thank
you for your information.  Thanks, also, to Scott Kendell, for the
eTrack info.  Does seem like a bug.  I didn't try to fix it before
because I thought it might be an artifact of the mixed server versions I
had for a very long time.  I'm all consistent now.

-M