Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Oracle Script for Window Systems

2009-04-24 16:28:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Oracle Script for Window Systems
From: Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:24:28 -0400
Oracle export (or Data Pump in newer versions of Oracle) may give you
the protection you need.

    * Have your DBA evaluate the export(s) done and test restores.
      Tests may include loss of
          o an Oracle row of data
          o an Oracle table
          o an Oracle tablespace
          o an Oracle schema
          o an Oracle full database
          o an Oracle home and database
          o (Note that each bullet above is generally a superset of
            what's above it, though it's not uncommon for a schema to
            use more than one tablespace (and vice versa), for example.)
    * Make sure the exported data is all there when you backup the file
      system where the dump(s) reside.
    * Make sure there are backups for "stuff" not in the export(s).
          o Even though a schema might store all data in one tablespace,
            backing up the tablespace does not backup everything in the
            schema
          o Oracle control file(s)
          o init and/or spfile(s)
          o oratab, orainst, oraInventory, and ORACLE_HOME(s)
    * Consider/suggest that your DBA add "rman" backups and you capture
      those backups with either the Oracle agent, or from disk as you
      are now doing.  In my limited experience, if rman will restore it,
      the Oracle DB will start and run.
    * Once doing "rman" backups, have your DBA consider using the rman
      catalog feature.  W/o the catalog, rman keeps backup information
      in its control files.  Using the catalog feature gives your DBA
      additional flexibility.

We're mostly a Linux and Solaris shop, with a smattering of Windows.  I
use "export" on a few DB and the Oracle Agent with rman on another.  I'm
considering moving my Oracle agent backups to be independent of
NetBackup (rman backing up to NAS).  This is more of a management
challenge (I don't see failures on my NetBackup console/reports), but
may be a reasonable way to cut costs for us.

Cheers, Wayne