Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Puredisk experiences ?

2009-04-23 23:28:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Puredisk experiences ?
From: "Tristan Ball" <Tristan.Ball AT leica-microsystems DOT com>
To: "Michael Graff Andersen" <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:24:12 +1000

I’d second both of these points, but especially the pricing one. When we looked at it, pricing was based on the volume of data pre-deduplication, and bought in blocks of n Gigabytes or Terabytes.

I had two big issues with that

1)       From a business point of view the one of the big value point of dedupe is to reduce the storage/transfer costs of backup. But their pricing model means that rather than spending that money on infrastructure (local tape, faster links, whatever), we pay that money to veritas/symantec. OK, fine, it’s probably less money over all, but even so to me it means that Symantec is getting the lions share of that value from the software, not me. I actually think this will change somewhat as dedupe becomes commodity.

2)       Volume based pricing often stings you 2 or 3 years in. Sure, right now paying $n to backup x TB might seem cost reasonable, but the midrange/highend vendors never seem to drop their $n per x ratio at the same rate as the rest of the industry – so in two years time, you may find yourself justifying quite high cost per gig upgrade, just because you added 3 remote sites, and suddenly have to buy another data block. And you no longer have the bargaining position of being a new customer. Which leads me back to my first point – why am I buying another data block when 50-80% of that data is going to be de-dupped from other sites anyway?

Had their pricing been the same per tb, but based on the de-duped data size, not the pre-de-duple, we probably would have signed up.

Regards,

            T.