Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Corrupt header files

2009-04-23 19:58:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Corrupt header files
From: "Conner, Neil" <neil AT mbari DOT org>
To: Veritas List <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:55:19 -0700
Netbackup 6.0 MP5 on Solaris 10.

I was working with support and they had me edit some header files and I happened to stumble upon one that had some corruption in it: I got the following error when I opened it with vi:

"client_1212199228_FULL" [Incomplete last line]

I found that an extra line of white space had been tacked on at the bottom of the file, but it was missing the EOL character.  So I wrote a script to look for more occurrences and I was shocked to find that over a third of my header files have this extra garbage line in them, and they are still being created.  I’ve got over 13,000 corrupt header files for full backups alone.

Restores from the corrupt header files are successful, with or without the extra line of garbage (which is why it has gone undetected until now).  At this point, support is telling me to either live with it or fix all the corrupt files, but so far at least, they have not tried to address the root cause and I’m not satisfied with that.  So I’m wondering if anyone else has a similar issue.

Here is the script (it only samples full backups so it runs faster).  Update the path to the image database if necessary and you can run it from anywhere.

#!/bin/ksh
#
# Check for corrupt header files:
# These will have white space at the end of a line.
# grep –l (ell) produces a list of files instead of a bunch of white space.
#
ImageDB=/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

for DIR in `ls -R | find $ImageDB -type d`
do
    grep -l " \$" $DIR/*FULL 2>/dev/null
done

I’d be grateful if some of you would run this against your catalog.  If you get any hits, try to edit one of the files and see if you get an “Incomplete last line” error.

Thanks,
Neil