Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Inline Tape Copy vs Storage Unit Groups (and other ITC wierdness)

2009-04-23 14:21:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Inline Tape Copy vs Storage Unit Groups (and other ITC wierdness)
From: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:18:36 -0600
If I create a policy that uses inline-tape-copy to make an offsite copy,
I see two pieces of wierdness that I don't understand.

The first is that if I select a storage unit group for my destination,
the tape pool, tape owner, etc. grays out.  It's not like my tape pools
are tied to a specific server, they're all setup for *ANY* server so
that shouldn't be an issue.

A work-around seems to be to use a regular STU at first, set-up
everything, then go back and change it to a STU-Group.  When you do
that, it warns, in a pop-up box, "Warning. Selecting storage unit groups
for multiple copies can severely impact performance."

Anybody know the why's and wherefores of these things?

-M