Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore running too slow

2009-04-22 18:07:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore running too slow
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:04:11 -0400
You don't mention your original backup speed, nor how this compares to other
restores you've done- so it's hard to say if you have a systemic issue or
something unique to this situation.

2 thoughts off the top of my head- one you can maybe fix, the other- not so
much.

1) Is your server running at USB2 or USB1.1  Some manufacturers (HP- I'm
looking at you here!) ship servers with the BIOS stepped down to 1.1 on the USB
ports even though they technically support 2.0.  Might check that.

2) Did you multiplex your data? If so, you may be the victim of your decision,
and it's too late to change it.  Multiplex data means that much of your tape is
data for other systems, and has to be skipped during the restore process.  You
get faster backups, but you sacrifice restore speed.

As I said earlier- there could be a ton of other reasons- not much data in here
to go on.  But those are my "top of the head" thoughts.

Tom